Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

May: Week 1: Garden Update

We've had some beautiful Autumn weather so far this May, lovely sunny days followed by plenty of rain. Everything is going great guns in the garden, and so are the weeds! I swear each day I weed, I come back to find just as many have taken their place. I guess the good thing is that my actual vegetable plants are growing just as well...if not better than most of the weeds. And at least now most of the plants are big enough to mulch under, so I'm slowly winning the weed war by smothering them in pea-straw.



What's growing in my garden at the moment:
Snow Peas
Sugar Snap Peas
Telephone Peas
Broad Beans

Carrots [orange and purple]
Beetroot
Radishes
Potatoes
Potato plants
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Cabbage

Garlic
Onions
Garlic with cabbage seedlings behind
Pak Choy
Silverbeet
Spinach beet
Baby Spinach
Rocket
Pak Choy
Parsley
Dill
Coriander
Marjoram
Garlic Chives

Lemongrass
Strawberries
Rhubarb
Strawberries

The last week has seen the first harvests from my vegetable garden. I really love having quick growing crops to satisfy my family's hunger for fresh food.


Third harvest from my garden-radishes, baby spinach and Pak Choy...a present for my grandparents.

So far I've harvested:
Radishes
Young Pak Choy
Baby spinach leaves
Spinach beet
Young beetroot leaves

When I thin crops like Pak Choy and beetroot, I use the thinned out seedlings in our dinners-they may be small but still taste just as good. Young beetroot leaves have a lovely flavour similar to silverbeet when steamed lightly and add a lovely dash of colour with their deep red stems.

Young beetroot and spinach beet.

I'm still having issues with my dogs getting into my garden to toilet-they slip through the sections I haven't fenced properly. It's getting irritating having to remove dog poo and uncover/replant the seedlings they destroy. A trip over the weekend to Bunnings got me supplies to finish off fencing the garden from my furry little "helpers". I still haven't finished the new fence, but it's taking shape and should be done by tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment